Friday, November 20, 2009

Dancing with Love


 This past weekend, I had the opportunity to take a  Nia class, my exercise of choice, with Carlos Rosas, one of the creators of this form of movement.  He and Debbie Rosas began creating this technique in the early 1980's with the promise:  Through Movement We Find Health.  The class was exciting, not only from the aspect of meeting our sensei, but also from the energy that was present in the room.  It was AWESOME!  We danced barefoot in front of a wall of mirrors and huge windows with views that overlook the beautiful lakefront and downtown Milwaukee area.



"What does exercise have to do with fiber art?"  As an artist, one is expected to draw from the vapors a tangible form of an abstract idea.  This process takes a certain quieting of the mind and getting into a 'zone' and expends a considerable amount of energy.  Things are not always what they appear to be.  I credit Nia with helping me to balance the body, mind, and spiritual aspects of my being to be able to function and bring forth the work of my hands.

 
I met Barb Wesson, black belt  Nia instructor and my friend, when her vision of a studio for movement at Core El Centro was only a dream.  We danced in the space of a church fellowship hall to the music of Jana Stanfield and I listened to Barb dream out loud about this new space.  At the time, I also had a dream, of sharing my Art.  I was working on a challenge piece for MArQ (Milwaukee Art Quilter's Group) under the theme  "Circle of Life".  As the weekly dance sessions progressed and the art piece came to life, it was only natural to gift it to Barb for the grand opening of her dream space come true.  I am honored that she accepted this labor of love and installed it in the movement studio.  It represents my first leap of faith in discovering my talents.  I will  forever be grateful to her for introducing me toNia.  It is  motivating, spiritual, fun and the only thing that I have found that keeps me committed to taking care of my body.  As an active grandmother of four, and a passionate fiber artist, I need all the energy help that I can get.

A closer look at "Dancing with Love", my Circle of Life challenge art piece, that hangs on the east wall of the Movement Studio at Core El Centro.  The rainbow colored band represents the chakras of the body while circling the One at the center of the universe.  A LoveLight of  movement!

When was the last time that you got up and moved around?  Go put on some music.  It's time for a dance.    Get moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment